First things first...this is Coby, not Kristin...
Second, I got a new job!!!
As most of you know, I have wanted to teach High School math ever since i graduated high school. I worked part time with Ben E. Keith (Bud Distributor) through college, and was offered a full time position the DAY i graduated, so i jumped on it. I am a sales analyst and love everything about the job. I get all kinds of great perks, (free beer, Ranger Game, and many others) I work with great people, and have all the freedom i need.... plus the occasional 3 hour lunch break with the bosses, which always include a few beverages.
Well a while back, I started looking into teaching, and started working on my certification. I started looking for jobs a few months ago, and FYI... all the people who say "oh, you will have no problem finding a job. Math and science teachers are in high demand"... YOU ARE WRONG. I searched forever, and applied for about 20 positions and couldn't even get a call or email back, much less an interview. 2 Sundays ago I was about ready to give up, but decided to send all of the Arlington ISD principals an email with my resume and a letter of interest. Well, the Principal at Sam Houston HS called me back the next day, and set up an interview for the day after that!!! I was very excited, because their website didn't even show any math positions available.
I talked to my brother, and got all kinds of advice on what to talk about during the interview, and it helped out ALOT. I had a great interview and was very confident I would get it. She told me I had to take my transcript to the admin building that day, and attach it to my application, before she could even consider hiring me. I did and this is how that convo went:
---------------------
Me: I interviewed at Sam Houston today and Mrs. McReynolds told me to bring you guys my transcript.
Lady #1: Oh OK, Ill pull up your file, whats your name.... (interupted)
Lady #2: (from another cubicle) Wait, Is your name Coby?
Me: Yes...
Lady #2: oh ok, bring that back to me. I just got finished hiring you, so i can go ahead and enter this in the system.
Me: wait.............what???
Lady #2: Oh crap, Mrs McReynolds hasnt told you yet, has she?
Me: ummm, no??
Lady #2: Oh, well congrats, you got the job. Now please act surprised when she calls you, I wasn't supposed to say anything. Oh, and did she tell you about the $3,000 signing bonus??
---------------------
I was so excited and couldn't help from laughing at the whole situation. There were about 5 other ladies all laughing at the one who accidentally spoiled the surprise. The hard part was waiting until Friday night, before the principal finally called to offer me the job. (I accepted it of course)
I will be teaching 2 Algebra I, and 4 Math Models classes (Math Models is a 3rd year math class for students who aren't ready for Algebra II yet) I got my Alg I teachers manual, which weighs about 25 lbs, and have flipped through it a little. Math Models does not use a book, so i will have to create worksheets for every lesson.
I will finish this week at Ben E. Keith, and start next Tuesday at school. I will have 2 weeks of meetings, then Aug 24th is the first day of class. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!! It was a tough decision leaving Budweiser. It will be completely different environments, but I will enjoy it. Kristin is also very excited about decorating my room, haha. Wish me luck!!
Sunday, August 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

quite a story, I know you will love teaching!! enjoyed reading all about the job!!
ReplyDelete